Sealed By The Spirit
05. Sealed by the Spirit
And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.
In addition to all the other spiritual blessings Paul noted, he now mentioned that believers are sealed with the promised Holy Spirit. Each believer in Christ receives the indwelling Holy Spirit (Rom. 8:9). His presence proves we are truly His children and under His protection. The term down payment referred to a portion of a sales price paid in advance to secure someone’s legal claim to an item. The down payment also guaranteed that the rest of the price would be paid. The very Spirit of God in the lives of believers is only the beginning of what we receive in salvation. Paul looked to our future inheritance, the full enjoyment of eternity, when our redemption will be complete. Again the apostle noted the benefit to God from His wonderful plan. Throughout all eternity, salvation will result in the praise of His glory (1:6,12).
- Why do you think so many of our food products are sealed? Why is it important?
- Read Ephesians 1:13-14. What does it mean that we are sealed by the Holy Spirit?
- What is the significance of this for us?
- What does it mean that the Spirit is a guarantee?
- Rob talked about how the seal of the Holy Spirit guarantees: (1) God’s possession/ownership of us, (2) God’s protection/security for us, and (3) God’s pledge to us of our future inheritance. Discuss each of these and what they mean.
- Which of these stands out as the most encouraging/significant to you?